Topics

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Do You Believe In God?

  

     I've been asked this question many times. In fact I've asked myself this question many times. Do I believe in God? No I don't, at least not the God of popular beliefs.

     For the last 20 years I have found ways to skirt around the subject because I didn't want to start a debate about my belief system. I would find ways to change the subject because of that look you get, utter astonishment. Most times I just avoid the subject all together. I knew sooner or later I would finally have to fess up and just say it out loud. I don't believe in an omnipotent super being that looks down on us and passes judgment.

     I do not believe in a God who created everything. I believe in the science of creation. Every culture has it's myths and stories that are passed down from generation to generation and most are based on their true history. The story of Almighty God started with the creation of Christianity and religion. This is not the creation of the earth or our universe.

     The bible is a book of history stories written by man, not a god, but it is the mythological book of religion. It fits right in there with Greek mythology and Viking mythology. And like every other cultural mythology, all of their heroes are bigger than life and have special super powers.

     Every religion has it's own stories but basically it's all the same narrative. Each of them wants you to believe that their account is the true story.

So What Do I Believe?

       I believe in the science of creation. Creation hasn't stopped. Our universe and everything in it and around it, is still expanding, still growing. Even our earth keeps changing and renewing itself. It's done so numerous times already. What happens to our planet, our solar system and even our universe, we have absolutely no control over. It's going to happen whether we like it or not. All we can do is to learn to live the best life we can for the time allotted to us.

     I believe what goes around comes around, sooner or later. Everything we put into this world will eventually come back to reward us or haunt us. Every thought, every spoken word and every deed can affect us and the lives we lead. I choose to make each day better than the last. The only one I compete with is myself.

     I believe that we are part of this grand evolution that is going on around us. Some of us never lose the evolutionary connection that is born within every man, woman or child. Others ignore the connection altogether because they feel they can do a better job. They have to have complete control. Good luck with that one.

     I believe in the power of our Earth. It supplies us with everything we need to survive; water, air, earth and fire. If just one of these ingredients were suddenly removed from the equation, the human race would end rather quickly. The earth is our home and the only one we have. We disrespect it, we abuse it and yet we expect it to correct our mistakes. There is no Plan B. This is the only planet we have.

     I believe in the power of Nature. It gives us food, medicine, comfort and healing. Nature does for us what any mother would do for her child. It gives us everything we need to become a productive species. And yet man still continues to try and change what is already perfect.

     There is only one thing that each of us can control, ourselves. By our actions and our words we will live on in the memories of our children and their children. What you do with your life will make them better people. We are all here for a short time in the grand scheme of things so live a life that makes you content and proud to be a member of our universe and the human race.

Our Place in the Cosmos

Judy

No comments: